Middle Earth: Shadow of War

omegamatt88

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Post by omegamatt88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 pm

This a topic mainly for the Admins/Expert Code Creators. With Shadow of War coming out in October, I had a question for the group. I watched a bunch of Youtube Videos and have read several threads on this upcoming game. It looks like they will have "Micro-Transactions" as a way to level up your character, your army, your gear, etc......the game will allow you to use "in game currency" that you earn doing quests/side missions, but you can also buy in bulk using real money (similar to Assassins Creed Unity). Here is my question/issue, would it be ethically unsound to edit the save to give max gold or whatever they use as the in game currency to buy the upgrades since you can technically earn them free of charge through standard gameplay? or would this be walking the line of something illegal since the developers probably want people to pay for the upgrades?

thought this might be a good topic of conversation. For those who have not played the first game: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, this game is amazing and the sequel looks to be even better.
Kyoshiro

Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Post by Kyoshiro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 am

omegamatt88 wrote:This a topic mainly for the Admins/Expert Code Creators. With Shadow of War coming out in October, I had a question for the group. I watched a bunch of Youtube Videos and have read several threads on this upcoming game. It looks like they will have "Micro-Transactions" as a way to level up your character, your army, your gear, etc......the game will allow you to use "in game currency" that you earn doing quests/side missions, but you can also buy in bulk using real money (similar to Assassins Creed Unity). Here is my question/issue, would it be ethically unsound to edit the save to give max gold or whatever they use as the in game currency to buy the upgrades since you can technically earn them free of charge through standard gameplay? or would this be walking the line of something illegal since the developers probably want people to pay for the upgrades?

thought this might be a good topic of conversation. For those who have not played the first game: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, this game is amazing and the sequel looks to be even better.
If it's in-game currency, there's nothing "illegal" about modding it. This is just like Jetpack Joyride, and countless other games, where the micro-transactions are more so just boosts. You're not doing what those FIFA guys did, and stole real money from the developers.
Kitsune

Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Post by Kitsune » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 pm

It actually depends. Some games give you two forms of currency. One is an in-game money, and another is gotten through money transactions and sometimes like a daily reward for online games.

The in-game money is of no consequence. We hack those all the time. However something you have to pay for, or something that requires online connectivity to acquire -
think MB Coins for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - then that would be a no no. That is pretty much stealing, and I believe can get you banned or even fined if it was severe enough.