How to Root & get Apk Files on the $17 Android GameStick

The World's Most Portable TV Games Console
hackinformer
Site Admin

How to Root & get Apk Files on the $17 Android GameStick

Post by hackinformer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:13 am

Great news, my friends, believe it or not, Playjam has freed the GameSticks!! They opened away to convert our “consumer” GameSticks to what they call the “developer” GameStick in a simple firmware update.

— Developer mode has a controller-friendly launcher, with full root access, file manger and apk installer..

DISCLAIMER:
THIS MANIPULATION IS NOT INTENDED FOR THE PUBLIC.
DO NOT ASK PLAYJAM FOR SUPPORT. USE COMMON SENSE.

You CANNOT access the GameStick store while on Dev software. You wont be able to download the games you purchased from the GameStick store anymore.

You cannot back them up either. Just keep in mind the process is fully reversible and just as easy. Once back on consumer software, access to the GameStick store will be restored.

On a sidenote: Those who are lucky enough to still have root access on their consumer-grade GameSticks and who bought games might want to back them up (Using ES File Explorer or something else) before converting their sticks, as these apks are specially modified to work with the controllers and as so, might be of some value. (You can share with me guys)

/// Think we should have got this all along?
/// It is worth noting it appears that Jasper, PDG of PlayJam, pretends this was made available at launch. — MY ARSE!! — But anyway. I’m too tired of this shyt to argue.

What to do:

1- Register on their dev portal; select Activate developer stick; they’ll give you a special code.

2- Input the code into your GameStick as instructed; a newer version of the software will be downloaded: 0.9.2058 —> 0.9.3062

3- Press A to install and reboot;

4- No number 4! You’re already done!

You’ll get the new DEV launcher, a file browser, an apk installer to scan any apks you might have on the Stick itself (pretty unlikely with a fresh install ;) ) or the microSD card.. everything you need.

Now get busy sideloading stuff!! =)

One last thing; those looking to install Google Play and the Gapps can use this tutorial;

Hope that helped!!
Last edited by Freakler on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.