PS3 Tweaks, Fixes, and Repairs

PS3 hardware chat including all hardware, mods and accessories, controller and other peripherals.
hackinformer
Site Admin

PS3 Tweaks, Fixes, and Repairs

Post by hackinformer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:45 pm

You can check out this preliminary fix guide to see if your yellow light of death or red light of death really needs to be professionally reflowed!Tips: YLOD Repair Tips and Tricks (What are my options?)
Don't give money to Phony Sony when you can fix the yellow light of death yourself!

I know it's happened to most of you. The dreaded yellow light of death. You're just prancing along in your favorite Black Ops map, about to blow open some n00b's head with your Galil when your screen freezes up. You get frustrated for having to restart, but as you get up to turn your console off... the three beeps of death. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. Shutdown.

Silence. Confusion. Concern.

Utter fear sets in, as you press your button to turn your console back on. She's starting up, your blu-ray drive spools up, hard drive spools up... then suddenly...

BEEP BEEP BEEP. *click* YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH.

It's the sound of your $300-600 console evolving into a very expensive paperweight... a paperweight that ate and will not let go of your $60 PS3 game. There goes your Black Ops...

So what can do you in this situation? If you're under warranty, call up good ol' Sony and get your unit replaced under warranty. Oh wait... there goes your hard drive's contents. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't trust Sony to actually get my game back to me. Then there's the cost of shipping, and the time between actually getting your new *coughrefurbishedcough* unit back.

And if you're out of warranty? Tack a good $150+ onto the above to get that bad boy replaced. Thank you Sony, for manufacturing and marketing the PS3--a product that is known to have a design defect causing hardware failure.

So you're probably thinking "But Dan... this is a 'tips' entry... so where's the tip?! I already know all of this you two-timin' lying son of a..."

Well, I won't leave you disappointed. If you haven't heard yet...

YLOD can be fixed at home for a fraction of the time, anxiety, and money that Sony will rob from you.

I repeat...

YLOD can be fixed at home for a fraction of the time, anxiety, and money that Sony will ROB from you!

Let's get down into the belly of the beast, shall we?

Believe it or not, you will only need THREE tools (and some materials) to get this PS3 down to the core. As I mentioned above, I typically work on fat PS3s, and this walkthrough will cover launch models first. The newer models--especially the slims--are a different procedure. When I get my hands on a slim to work on, I'll be sure to let you know. ;)

Anyway, you'll need...

- Medium screwdriver
- Small, fine tip screwdriver
- Torx Screwdriver
- Arctic Silver Thermal Compound
- Multiple cups for different screws (Optional)

Just to reiterate it--this procedure WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY! Sony typically refuses to work on any tampered devices, so if you are not comfortable taking your unit apart, stop now and contact Sony or a local shop. If you have enough gall stones to continue with me, then let's begin the operation!

Plastic PS3 Case Removal

1. Disconnect all cables to your PS3, and place the unit in front of you on a static free surface (counter orworkstation preferably.)
2. On the left side, remove the warranty sticker. This voids your warranty. There is a way to remove this sticker without voiding the sticker, but this is fraud and illegal, and I will not get into this.
3. Pinch the plastic/rubber grommet and pull off. Store both sticker and grommet aside safely.
4. Insert your Torx driver into the hole and remove the screw holding the protective/aesthetic case off of the top.
5. Slide case off, place metal bracket and screw aside with grommet.
PS3 Hard Drive

6. Using your nail, pry off the hard drive cover
7. Using the fine tip screwdriver, remove the blue screw holding the hard drive in place. Set aside.
This is the screw in question--although you'd be hard pressed to find ANY OTHER blue screw anywhere in the console.

8. Remove the hard drive, set aside in a static free location.
Top Shell of PS3

9. Unscrew all screws visible from the top of the unit. There should be a total of 2 small ones, one medium length, and 6 long ones.
10. Remove top case from back to front SLOWLY, as there is a ribbon cable that runs from the top to the motherboard that can easily be severed.
11. Disconnect said cable, set top case aside.
At this point, you should see all of these parts laying in your console. If so, you're doing it right. Good job!

Blu Ray Drive

12. The blu ray drive is quite simple. Remove the cable that connects to the motherboard (powers the PS3's blu ray drive).
13. Lift the blu ray drive from back to front. Disconnect the ribbon FROM THE BLU RAY DRIVE, NOT THE MOTHERBOARD.
14. Set the blu ray drive aside on a static free zone.

This is the blu-ray drive. See the cable below? It's not long enough to mess with much, so lift from back to front to see and disconnect the cable before damaging it.

Eject/Power Button

Power and eject button circuit board.
15. Remove all four screws.

16. Disconnect the ribbon from the button control board.
17. Set all aside in a static free zone.
WiFi/SD Card Reader

WiFi antenna from www.eeshops.com.
18. Unscrew the WiFi antenna.

19. Remove the three corner screws on the large card reader board.
Card Reader Board.

20. Set all aside in static free zone, safely organized away from the rest.
PS3 Power Source

This is what the power supply looks like.
21. Remove the three screws from the side of the unit closes to you.

22. Remove the cable connecting the power supply to the motherboard.
23. Take out the medium length screw on the left, the screw on the right, then the grounding screw.
24. Remove the clip from the power socket to the supply.
25. Lift the power supply straight up from the unit, and set aside.

At this point, your console should look like this.

Bottom PS3 Shell

26. Remove all screws from the border of the unit. Set aside in a way to remember which goes where, as they are different.
27. Very carefully, as this does require a certain degree of force, pull the entire unit out from the bottom shell.
28. Tip: This is easier to do if you use the back ports plastic shell as a guide and point to pull from. Set aside.
Rear Ports

29. To remove the rear plastic, there are 4 clips. Simply lift each black clip and move the unit off of the motherboard's protective unit.
PS3 Fan

30. To remove the fan, unscrew the brackets from the top of the unit. There are 4 large screws that hold the fan and heat sink to the motherboard. Set aside.
31. Flip the unit over and disconnect the power cable.
32. Remove the battery from the upper right corner of the unit.
33. Pull the fan unit off of the board--it may take a little force, but it is difficult to break--don't be shy!
34. Set aside. Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the fan of all dust. BONUS PS3 TWEAK: On the heatsink side of the fan, there is a loose section. Bend the two metal clips holding it in to keep it more securely onto the processors when assembled. This will help the heatsink pull heat away from them better, and keep your YLOD PS3 functioning MUCH longer!

Bonus PS3 tweak pictured: Bend the two small clips on the right hand side where the unit flops around until it is held tigher and shakes less. That white paste is the stock thermal paste and must be cleaned off prior to reassembly.

Metal Braces

35. With the fine tip screwdriver, remove the two small screws from the hard drive enclosure. Set aside safely.
36. Carefully remove the side opposite the hard drive enclosure, removing it as a hinge lifting from the edge opposite the rear ports.
37. Flip, proceed with the same maneuver, as a hinge from the side opposite the ports.
This is what your unit should look like at this point.
Reflow

38. Place the board itself on a static free, nonflammable surface.
39. Take your isopropyl alcohol and paper towels and begin to remove the stock thermal compound from the central units. (It's the white flakey substance on the two metallic squares in the middle of the board.
40. Wipe off with dry paper towel. Spread flux around the units and allow to run underneath.
41. Take your heat gun and set it to a moderate temperature, as this will heat it up at a good pace without cracking the board.
42. Apply heat to the unit evenly to prevent cracking or frying anything on the board.
43. After about 10 minutes of going over the whole board, focus for 3 minutes on the two metallic units in the middle of the board.

The reflow in action. Video coming soon.

Thanks to The1Z for making this video.

Disclaimer: I did not make this video, but it does illustrate a great method of reflowing--the act of applying heat to the primary board to reflow the solder and settle the reality synthesizer and emotion engine chips.