Update to 3.55 and still keep PSTV whitelist?

You need help or just got a question? Feel free to ask!
J-Star

Update to 3.55 and still keep PSTV whitelist?

Post by J-Star » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:24 pm

I've had 3.52 on this PSTV before I even knew there was a Vita hacking scene and I got the whitelist going on my PSTV through the secondary (app.db) method. I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep that whitelist post-update (even if I have to restore from a backup post-update or something). I know the more popularized method only lasted until you turned it off, and it's said in the tutorial this method will last unless you do a complete reset of the Vita so I'm wondering if that applies at all to the updating process. I'd like to have access to PSN again, as I have a few games I wanna play online again, but I also don't want to lose the whitelist.
hackinformer
Site Admin

RE: Update to 3.55 and still keep PSTV whitelist?

Post by hackinformer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:02 am

No.. if you have done all the tricks/hacks you want to the psvita or pstv with the app.db and update everything will stay just like it is on fw 3.55. Now if you take out the memory stick or do a data base restore in safe mode it wipes out all the tricks.

I did all the stuff I wanted to do to mine, then made a backup of it on 3.52fw just encase and then updated it everything was working fine. I'm even able to still add new theme I just have to replace the files from a one of the themes thats already in it. So you will be ok..
J-Star

Post by J-Star » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 am

hackinformer wrote:Now if you take out the memory stick … it wipes out all the tricks.
Just wondering, is this something that only happens within 3.55? The memory stick accidentally popped out once while I was playing something on 3.52 and the games that I had whitelisted still worked after that. Or did you mean swapping out memory cards to one of another account, for example?

You don't have to answer this but on the note of having everything done that I'd want, do you think there's a way to auto-patch games to allow screenshots, in a similar way as the app.db method of whitelisting games? I've been wanting this but haven't seen anyone bring it up (granted it's a rather minor issue compared to game compatibility). I looked around app.db but I don't think anything related to screenshot ability is there (though I don't know much about coding to begin with so it might be there for all I know), and the filemap I saw (Yifan Lu's) didn't include the mapping for the ur0 partition so I'm not sure where else to look.
hackinformer
Site Admin

Post by hackinformer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 am

Yes I was talking about swapping the sticks around and no it shouldn't matter what FW as sony only fixed the email app in 3.55fw. They did not block the trick/hacks in FW 3.55. I just like to play it safe as sometimes my pstv like to rebuild the data base and I don't know why it does that. Just make a backup image of your PSTV before updating it.

About the games screenshot stuff we don't have access to it like we want. So for now there is no way to modify them.
J-Star

Post by J-Star » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:54 am

I've updated to 3.55 and now I'm having a new issue: None of the DLC (paid or free) is installing. Could app.db modifications have impacted this or does this have something to do with me having upgraded my memory card before updating? Either way, I've tried deleting, restoring, reactivating online, downloading and transferring the DLC from PS3, and actually setting time to the correct time. Is there any way to solve this?
hackinformer
Site Admin

Post by hackinformer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:15 pm

That is a whole different issue and doesn't have anything to do with the app.db. As the games or dlc's are store in a different dir of the vita/pstv. Also if the games are not digital some dlc won't work says PSN
J-Star

Post by J-Star » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:30 pm

I've had DLC install fine with these games on this PSTV fine before I did the whitelist, even if they were physical. I'm wondering if the app.db is interfering with the updating process for these games because trying to install the DLC treats them like updates but then they never actually install. I don't ever get a "Installation failed" message like other people have had, it just boots straight into the game without actually doing anything.
hackinformer
Site Admin

Post by hackinformer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:55 am

Did you do both tricks for the whitelist?
J-Star

Post by J-Star » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:45 am

Yes, I tried the .dat method when it first became popularized (although I imagine that method had long been nullified because of how often I shut down the PSTV) and the app.db method not too long after seeing that one of the games I tried (Re;birth1) didn't work with the first method.
Last edited by J-Star on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hackinformer
Site Admin

Post by hackinformer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:30 am

That could be the issue as I only did the first one and been able to update games and install DLC. Since it only unlocks the white list and it only makes some of the games playable, On my second PSTV I did both tricks but never put dlc's on it cuz it's on 3.50FW. It's a small price to pay to be able to play all those games on the PSTV.