Is PS4 Wizard Illegal?

News, Games Updates and everything SW related
Antipode

Is PS4 Wizard Illegal?

Post by Antipode » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 am

This is more just for interesting discussion.

I find some of PS4 Wizards codes to be in a bit of a grey area, legally. Hear me out.

There was a case recently where these guys created an app that allowed users to pay for it, and then bypass paywalls on another app. They were found guilty, which seems pretty clear cut. These guys were specifically cutting into the profits of another company, but allowing users to bypass paying for loot boxes and such.

Now, PS4 Wizard doesn't specifically grant loot boxes. This would be impossible, as the software edits offline saves, and does not actively grant permissions to things online.

However, there are similar elements. Two that come to mind are Tales of games, and Assassin Creed.

Both games allow micro-transactions where you are able to bolster the EXP of a character, and outright purchase items that you can acquire by just playing the game. PS4 Wizard can also hex edit your save to get this same desire, effectively "bypassing" the paywall of the micro-transaction.

---

Now, I love PS4 and PS3 wizard as much as everyone else, so don't get me wrong. I'm not asking based on what we want to happen. But in your opinion, do you think PS4 Wizard could face legal action if one of those two game developers decided to take it?
Skiller
V.I.P.

Re: Is PS4 Wizard Illegal?

Post by Skiller » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:54 am

Reality no. since the option to BUY is only exactly this an Option . .
the game it self as your playing it you can gain this stuff normally ..

as for items that are locked by DLC or that can not be Obtained by normal means in the game (Blocked by server checks and so on) them can be Illegal since the only way to get them would be that of buying them from the dev .
SO in my eyes the rule of thumb would be if i t can be gained in game via normal play and is not server checked then it would be fair game ..

BUT this rule does not apply to Japan any more .. Modding in all its ways is now Illegal